@cwebber imo if that's the whole thing one file is fine, but if it's going to be much longer split up is better.
I’ve been wanting to try out #pico8, but didn’t want to spend any more money. Apparently it came with the humble bundle: voxatron that I bought eight years ago so that’s a nice surprise.
@WagonStar@elekk.xyz @goat Linux Mint is a great distro for people used to windows.
The desktop environments it uses are very similar to the windows desktop experience by default.
Switching from a generated mesh per chunk to instanced rendering for each of the 6 faces per chunk worked to reduce memory usage on my minecraft clone!
The quick math of 9.3GB down to 300MB I did before starting was actually a little conservative.
It turned out to actually go down to ~240MB for 16*20*20 chunks.
Also, now that the data for each face is just a u32 the amount of uncovered faces doesn't affect the memory usage by a crazy amount (235MB in best case, 297MB in worst case).
This tool is amazing.
I just cross compiled my Minecraft clone on 64bit Linux for windows and arm7 Linux with no issues.
I ran the exe in windows and it ran even better than the native Linux version (probably due to better gpu drivers).
I really want to get the resident evil 2 remake, but I still have games that I bought recently and either haven't even started or only played a few hours.
It's not even like they're bad games. They're amazing (spiderman, persona 5, smash bros ultimate), but I can't seem to finish games anymore.
For example, I played through most of breath of the wild and all that's left to do in the main story is walk in the castle and smack gannon around, but I still haven't done it almost two years later.
@Gargron did the mastodon:media:clear command get removed/renamed?
I'm trying to use it on my docker instance and rake is saying it doesn't know how to compile the task.
It made me think of the cover blocks mod.
I though that it would be nice to have that, but that I'd need to figure out which texture each face should use when generating a mesh instead of just grabbing from a static block definition.
Then it clicked how I can use instanced rendering.
I wouldn't have the instancing be a block model, but one for each face.
The instance data could just be position, light, and texture offset combined in one u32.
If this works It will reduce memory usage by 31x!
I'm so happy right now.
I've been working on a minecraft clone for a bit now and the meshes it generates take up too much memory.
I looked into instanced rendering as a way to reduce the memory usage, but couldn't wrap my mind around how instance data would map to each block (specifically texture coords since blocks can have a different textures per side).
I was watching a minecraft stream while I doing work and the player was holding a block with each side randomly changing every second.
Software engineer/db admin by day, serial project starter by night.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!